Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm at Home in the Couds, Towering Over Your Head

The rumble just ended, and we won!

Those chickens ran so fast our heads were spinning.

Darry was the first to start, he took on an old football buddy, his name was Paul or something. There was a lot of talk and no action to start, but then out of the blue Dally shows up.

"Hold it!" he shouted. "Hold it!"

Darry turned to look at him and Paul sucker punched him in the jaw. No good dirt bag.

I kicked him hard in the back of the knee. I lifted my foot to kick again but something behind me knocked me over and I could feel boots being kicked into my side.

I rolled out of the way and jumped up clutching my side. I turned around and charged at the nearest Soc tackling him to the ground. I pinned his shoulders to the ground with my knees and bashed his face.

At that point I heard Tim yell, "They're running, look at the dirty profanity run!"
I gave the Soc on the ground one last wallop and let him up, spitting in his face.
The hoots and hollers of glee were deafening. I did a front flip and went over to congratulate Darry and the rest.
Steve was on the ground, why hadn't he gotten up.
"Hey, Steve, you okay buddy?" I asked kneeling beside him.
"Yeah, I think I busted some ribs though. Hurts like-"
"Soda, I'm gunna take Ponyboy to the hospital," Dally interupted.
I nodded and then turned back to Steve.
"Let me help you up," I said and grabbed his hand. I tried to pull him up but he flinched and said,
"I need more help Soda."
I called Darry over to help him up. We cautiously lifted him to his feet.
"Let's go back to the house, we gotta wrap you up," I said.
We went home to party after the Rumble but after Ponyboy and Dally didn't show up for a couple hours, we were gettin' worried.
Finally, in the wee hours of the morning Ponyboy opened the door.
He looked like a ghost.
He looked like someone had died. . .

No comments: